Sunday, August 8, 2010

Boom Boom Pow

Hi!  Still here!  Working hard but right now I'm hardly working so I thought I'd update.  Just got back from the gym.  Felt good to get the old blood pumpin. 

Work is going ok, just the feeling of always needing to learn more is always weighing on me.  It feels like second year of medical school all over again, complete with unbelievable amount of notetaking and knowledge volume that needs to be memorized before TUN TUN TUN - OKAPs.  Back then it was Step I.  Apparently the OKAP is just as big a test.  Sigh.  I guess I'll keep on chuggin along... it's gotta come to an end sometime.  All the stuff during M2 year felt overwhelming (and often was accompanied with the feeling of "when will this actually be important to me??") but by M4 year, all the repetition of the stuff made me feel more and more comfortable with it.  I actually had some confidence during intern year with applying the material.  So I'm hoping a similar thing happens with ophthalmology... except much faster, because I'm over this feeling.

What's interesting here in ophthalmology residency is that I not only have to learn the book-type material, but I also have to hone surgical skills.  It's something that attracted me to the field in the first place -- the fact that I'd be providing (what I thought of then as) comprehensive - medical and surgical - care of the eye.  And it is true, to a point.  Well anyways, I've had 1 wet lab so far in addition to my several trips to the OR for retina cases... and it's not very much like breast or abdominal surgery.  The suture isn't even visible by the naked eye; you need a microscope to see and work with it.  Every tie is an instrument tie (you don't / can't tie it with your hands).  You have to get used to moving your instrument up / down / right / left in a way that's different than just using your naked eye.  Somehow the scope makes it a bit of a challenge to learn these movements.  It's really neat, but like I said, I've got a lot to learn.

How's that for repetitive themes?  I'll try to stop talking so much about how much I have to learn.  Maybe I can even mention the cool things I've learned instead.  Ok, I'll do that.

Lollapallooza was this weekend and it was fun to at least go just outside the fence and watch the jumbotron and listen to the music.  Maybe next year we can buy tickets and go.  The weather right now is sunny and hot - to die for!  We've been keeping the windows open almost all weekend and it's been a great way to get a taste of the outside while we're inside working.

I'm missing the fam while they're away in Canada, but the pics they're sending me from over there are great.  Every pic looks like a Bob Ross (Joy of Painting!) original with a family member of mine in the foreground.  Haha it's great.  I'm looking forward to having them back so that I can call them whenever I want again.  Not having them in the States has taken a major part of my daily life out of the picture!!

Quick story about Bob Ross's Joy of Painting -- when I was little I watched Sesame Street A LOT.  In fact, at times eating was a no-go unless SS was on.  Well as I grew older (and after I learned to feed myself and turn on the TV myself) channel 13 (PBS) was my go-to channel.  And certain afternoons they played these marathons of Joy of Painting.  I'd be disappointed but at the same time transfixed by Bob Ross's soothing voice and the beautiful creations he made.  And EVERY time -- I fell asleep.  Like clockwork.  I'd always find myself waking up when the credits and music began to play.  A couple of times I was sick and stayed home from school... and his show would be the beginning of my afternoon naptime.  It's a nice memory.

OK!  More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment