Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Eye Chapter Begins

Wow.  Ophthalmology has begun.  Actually I'm close to 2 weeks in.  Week 1 was orientation, week 2 was the start of my time on the Retina rotation.  The rotation is 3 months long, and boy do I have a lot to learn.  I can hardly see things through the indirect ophthalmoscope sometimes, and it is just so frustrating how inconsistent I feel.  All of my seniors say that they had an a-ha! moment at which they were suddenly able to see lots of detail through the indirect and feel comfortable with it.  It took a while for most, if not all, of them to master it.  All I can say is that I'm practicing as much as I can but I'm also eagerly/impatiently anticipating the point at which I can do a basic eye exam (!!!) with confidence.

Anyways, in addition to the basic exam stuff I'm up to my ears in reading.  So much to do.  I'd really better get to work soon.

To end on a positive note, I went to the OR yesterday and it was AWESOME.  Same feeling as I got during medical school.  Scrubbing in is fun.  Being listed as the resident and being the main assistant in the case was great.  Listening to light music while fixing someone's eyes, awesome. 

Lots more to share with you soon.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment