Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Burgh it Up

Came home for a few days.  There's no feeling like being back in the cozy cocoon that was my home as I grew up.  I wanted to spend time with my sister and parents before things got really busy. 

My mom's on the phone with the realtor right now who's working on selling this house.  It's kind of sad to hear and think that this house may be sold, but it's understandable that my parents want to downsize now that my sisters and I are out of the house.  I learned during our last move that it's not so much the house but rather the things inside it and of course my family that mean the most to me.  So that's good.  That didn't stop me, though, from feeling outraged when the people who moved into our old house painted the front door red and put up a fence under the deck for their dog.  Obviously they have terrible taste.  Obviously.

I read a book recently called The Geography of Bliss and it had the same thesis - that it's not the place in which you live but rather your outlook on life and the quality of the cultural atmosphere around you that makes you happy.  People in Iceland are high on the "happiness index" when people of the world were surveyed, and they have days where there's only 1 hour of sunlight in 24 hours!  It was a really interesting book. I thought Quatar / U.A.E. had a compelling story too because they have all this ridiculous amounts of money from oil, so everything is super-posh.  But despite being able to stay in all this luxury, the author kept feeling incomplete and as though the place was just kind of sterile.  Good stuff.


OK!  Going to try to enjoy the little time I have here with the fam! 

No comments:

Post a Comment